Monday, June 28, 2010

day 10.....those wascally wabbits

This is one of our 4 raised garden beds that we are productively gardening in this year. We plan to add 8 more this fall to have ready for next spring. The kids are going to team garden them and share plots and be in charge of planning, prepping, planting, and maintaining. Not that there is a lot of maintenance with the raised beds... the weeds are minimal, normal watering, but those darn rabbits.... That brings us to today's picture. Today we made an addition to our existing garden... a big pot of marigolds to divide up in the bed tomorrow. We have a bunny problem. Somewhere nearby, some bunny had her babies. I love baby bunnies. They are adorable. But, this year I have declared this a no bunny zone. They are destroying my garden. I have pea plants 3 inches tall where the rest are 18 inches. I have lettuce being plucked at like an all you can eat buffet. And they are snapping green bean plants off at the ground. Short of hiring Elmer Fudd to guard it, I am at my wit's end. I have tied plastic bags to the trellis to act as mini scarecrows, the kids go running and flapping their arms and yelling to beat anything I have ever seen, and no matter what we try..... they. keep. coming. back. I have read in several places that rabbits hate marigolds. We are going to test the theory. We had marigolds around our old garden... never saw any bunnies, but then again it was the crappiest garden there was. I mean nothing would grow. So yeah.. let's hope this works. Otherwise, does anyone know the number for Warner Bros.

No comments:

Post a Comment